Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sugar Free Smoothie

I've been having a smoothie for breakfast most days for months now. It's an easy way to get lots of fruit and veggies in, plus some protein, and they're delicious. I've played around a bit with my current method, to make it completely sugar free, and so far it's working out fantastically.

I start with frozen fruit. I just buy the big bags at my grocery store. I use mixed berries, strawberries, mango, peaches, and pineapple. My favorite mix right now is peaches, pineapple, and a small bit of mango.  We have a Magic Bullet blender system that we're loving right now. So I put the frozen fruit in the tumbler cup, then microwave it for one minute. I've found this makes it easier for the blades to break up, but it's still cold, just not rock hard. Then I add a handful of spinach or kale, about 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt, and about half a cup of low fat milk. Then I just turn it on and wait. Sometimes if I've been heavy handed with the fruit I'll need to add a splash more of milk. Before we started the sugar free challenge, I was using flavored Greek yogurt, and I was really worried that I would notice a change in flavor. The first day it did seem a bit more tart, but I think I've already grown used to it, and I'm really enjoying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment