Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Day 1 Recap

Do you ever have those days that make you just want to curl up in a ball and cry? Well, that was my day today. I had planned on cleaning out my kitchen cupboards and pantry. Throwing out open containers, boxing up to donate unopened items. Making a fresh start for our kitchen. It was cool and foggy this morning, so first I decided to run the self cleaning cycle on my oven. Steven made pulled pork in it a few weeks ago and spilled a bunch of the juices in it. It's been smoking pretty bad, but  it had been too warm to run it. Today seemed like the perfect time to do it. So I turned it on, then went to take a quick shower. When I got out, I could smell the oven, and it smelled smokey, but I wasn't too worried. Then I went check on it. The whole front of the house was filled with acrid black smoke, and there were flames in the oven. I turned it off and opened every window,  turned on the fans, and retreated with Luke to my bedroom. The flames went out quickly, and the oven went into cool down mode, thankfully. However, it took hours for all the smoke to clear out. Luke and I spent the first half of the day holed up back in my bedroom. I gave him the last of last nights ice cream to bribe him to stay there, and of course I had a few bites myself. Then later I ate a granola bar without even thinking about it. They were part of the clean out I was meant to be doing today. By the time the front of the house was breathable again, (though still very smelly) it was almost time for Sam to get home from school. I sent both boys out back to play while I tackled the oven. It was scary looking. I used a lot of hot water, soap, and rags, and then a liberal coating of dish soap on the bottom which was the worst, and a stiff scrub brush. It looks a lot better, but still worse than it ever has before. I'm going to wait until morning and then cautiously run another cleaning cycle,  not leaving it alone this time.

On top of that, Sam managed to break the fence, thankfully just one board, but it allowed our neighbors dog to escape into our yard, and prompted a very awkward discussion with a man who is the neighbors friend and happened to be in their backyard at the time. I was a mess, covered in soot, and wearing my slippers. I may have yelled at my kids. It's been one of those days. But, the dog is back home, the board is back up, and Sam's homework is finally done. The kids are having spaghetti noodles with butter, and home made bread for dinner. Technically sugar free, but not the gourmet, homemade food I had pictured as our first no sugar meal. To add to it Steven was stuck in traffic, and won't be home for another hour or more.

So, I'm more than ready for this day to be over. I've had sugar, although probably not as much as I normally would. Tomorrow, I start fresh, hopefully with an oven that comes clean and works, because I've promised a friend with a new baby a homemade roast chicken dinner, and I don't think I can pull that off without an oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment