Sunday, March 8, 2015

Catching up

I haven't written in well over a week. Real life moves fast around here. Luke had an ongoing cold that finally was diagnosed as a sinus infection. Sam started flag football practice, we continue with our play dates, homework, house work and everything else. Plus we're in the thick of choosing a preschool for Luke for next fall. Serious business folks.

In the meantime, we have continued our sugar free experiment. Steven and I continue to be completely sugar free. We had to relax a little with the boys, especially Luke. He's still getting small amounts of ketchup and ranch dressing, as well as one granola bar a day. The granola bars have 7 grams of added sugar. They're not fantastic, but he was seriously going on a hunger strike. Just one bar everyday, or sometimes even every other day seems to have appeased him. Am I catering to my child's whims, probably yes. But he's at a difficult age for this. He was used to his normal eating habits. Used to getting juice and granola bars, fruit snacks and the occasional cookie or donut, lollipops at the bank, etc. Sam was used to the same, but he understands what it means when we say no sugar. In fact, he's become quite the label reader, and considers it a challenge to find a sugar free version of something. Luke however, is just now 3. That concept is way beyond him. He just wants his umms, as he calls treats. So I figure, he's getting around 10-12 grams of sugar per day. Still not ideal, but so much lower than he was eating.

Today I took Luke to a birthday party. While there, I will admit I had two bites of pizza, which I'm sure had sugar in both the sauce and the dough. Luke however, hit the jackpot. He had the pizza, and a piece of chocolate cake. He was in heaven. He did leave quite a bit of cake on the plate, but he was full, and threw it away when he was done. I managed to keep myself from even licking frosting off my finger. Will power people. I'm working on it.  While I did allow Luke the cake, I gave him water instead of the Hawaiian punch offered. He didn't miss it, and I felt better about avoiding the red sugar water.

No comments:

Post a Comment