Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Fructose Free Sugar Cookies!

Today I tried a new recipe, for sugar cookies that I found on thesugarbreakup.com.  Basic Christmas Cookie It uses Rice Malt syrup instead of sugar. I had brown rice syrup, and assumed it was the same, and gave them a try. The blog is from Australia, so if you try them out know that 110g of butter is one stick, and 170* C is about 335*F, and corn flour is corn starch.

I followed the recipe and instructions exactly. The dough was a bit crumbly, and actually seemed to roll out a bit easier after it warmed up. We cut out lots of hearts, then I just cut the remaining dough into some squares. I did have a fail moment when I told Luke to get some sprinkles out and decorate them before putting them in the oven. Sprinkles are, not surprisingly, made of sugar. So few actually ended up on each cookie that I chose not to worry about it, and just enjoy them.  I also made the frosting recipe, although I swapped out lemon juice for vanilla, and added a bit of cinnamon, just because I thought it sounded good.

 The frosting is really frothy, and very sweet.  The cookies, well I fully admit, I was scared of the first taste. Luke happily scarfed his down, so I tentatively took a bite. There was a strong flavor at first, the brown rice syrup, reminiscent of molasses. The next bite was better, and then even better. Soon I was on to my second cookie. These cookies are definitely not as sweet as the sugar cookies I normally make. I actually want to try that recipe with a dextrose sub. But right now, when its been three weeks sine we've had cookies or anything sweet at all, they are fantastic.

I am not a photographer. This is a bad pic from my cell phone, but here's proof that we really did make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment